I have been wanting to make a pineapple upside down cake for a long time. Why? Because I LOVE PINEAPPLE!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- sliced can pineapple
- maraschino cherries
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 egg, large room temperature
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved from the canned pineapple)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Please 1/4 cup of melted butter into a 9 inch pie dish. Make sure the pie dish is at least 2 inches deep. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Top with pineapple slices and arrange cherries between the pineapple slices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugars. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly mix in dry in dry ingredients. Do no over mix. Batter will be thick.
- Pour or spoon batter into prepared pan. Make sure batter is not overflowing. Bake for 40-48 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil at the 20 minute nark to avoid browning. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Invert cake on top of a cake stand or a large serving plate.
I did end up with some extra batter so I made cupcakes with them for Baby Girl.
Keep baking friends!