Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

What is something quick to eat for breakfast when you have to be up early in the morning?  Coffee cake of course!  Coffee cake is best because I categorized it as "on the go" food.  You can drink your coffee, drive, and eat all at the same time.  Okay ... maybe ... just a little crumbs.

I needed to be up early for a Tzu Chi event.  I decided to make some coffee cake for the volunteers that were going early to set up in the morning.  I would say 8am on a Saturday morning qualifies are early.  Knowing I would be sleepy and hungry in the morning I made this coffee cake the night before. 

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Adapted from Kirbie's Cravings

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 oz sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 8 x 8 inch pan.
2.  Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs to the mixture one at a time.
3.  Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4.  Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.
5.  Add the sour cream and vanilla.  Mix until combined.
6.  Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.  Sprinkle with half of the topping.  Add the remainder of the batter on top and sprinkle with the remaining topping.
7.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

This coffee cake is yummy.  The pecans add a great touch of crunch.  For coffee cake it's also not too sweet.  Just right with coffee.  
I caught the d-o-g on her bed.  This is pretty amazing considering that she went pee on it when I first brought it home a year ago.  I got this great idea a year ago to buy the pup a new bigger bed since she was growing.  When I brought the bed home she looked at it and pretty much walked away.  Then later that week she walked on it, scratched around, and left.  Then finally I went to the bed and noticed she went pee on it.  Thank goodness the cover comes off to clean and it is water proof.  After cleaning the bed I have never seen her on it.  I have even tried laying and sitting on the bed myself.  The pup looks at me like I am stupid and walks away.  So catching her on this bed is amazing.  I will have to admit it did not last long after the picture.  But I hope it means she is warming up to it.

Keep baking and stock up on pumpkin pie puree for the holidays!

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. that is a pretty good piece of writing. both you and Terence write well.

    ReplyDelete