Friday, December 9, 2011

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

I was sick (and still am) on my favorite holiday of the year.  THANKSGIVING.  No one knows how sad I am about this than my husband.  I have no self control when it comes to eating and my husband knows this from first hand experience.  I barely survived the holiday but needless to say I did not gorge myself in food.  I barely had a appetite.  Even the thought of food made me feel yucky.  To top it off I was super sad that food made me yucky.  Food should never make you yucky.  I finally went to the doctor yesterday who prescribed me 2 inhalers for my coughing.  However it has been a struggling trying to use them.  How is it that a 10 year old can use one but I can't?  Sad.

I  haven't done much baking since I have been sick.  This coffee cake was one I made for volunteers before a Tzu Chi event.  This is for all the anti nut people. 

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Adapted from Broma Bakery

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

3/4 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a large bundt pan and set aside.
2.  Cream butter, sugar, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
3.  Add eggs one at a time and make sure each is incorporated.
4.  Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt.
5.  Add dry mixture to creamed mixture until just incorporated.  Do not over mix!
6.  Add chocolate chips.
7.  In a separate bowl mix brown sugar and cinnamon together.  This will be the topping.
8.  Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan.  Sprinkle half of the brown sugar topping over the batter.  Pour in the second half of the batter and top with remaining sugar topping.
9.  Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.

Coffee cakes are easy to make and great accompanied with coffee.  I especially like coffee cakes cause I take my coffee with just milk/creamer so a little coffee cake brings the sweetness to breakfast.

Hope everyone enjoys this recipe!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment