I love pasta. But sometimes you need a alternative to pasta. Spaghetti squash is your answer!
1 spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 onion, small diced
1/2lb ground turkey
2 cups mushroom, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 jar marinara sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
Topping: shredded colby and cheddar cheese
1. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrap out seeds. Lightly spray insides of both halves with cooking spray. Broil for about 20 minutes
2. Brown garlic and onions in large pan.
3. Add ground turkey and cook until done.
4. Add mushrooms and cook until soft
5. Add tomato and cook for about 2 minutes
6. Add marinara sauce, garlic powder, garlic salt, ground pepper, and oregano. Cook for about 15 minutes.
7. Shred spaghetti squash with a fork. Add to sauce.
I am not a fan of sweet dishes that are not dessert. So I was a little worried about this dish since I have never tasted spaghetti squash. Turns out there really is not that much flavor in spaghetti squash. Served with sauce spaghetti squash is a great substitute for noodles. This dish is pretty versatile and you can pretty much add anything you like in a red pasta sauce. I am curious how this would taste in a alfredo sauce.
El Husbee devoured a bowl of this and was quite impressed that it was squash and not noodles.
I think next time I will add some red pepper flakes to give the dish a little kick.
Keep cooking friends!