Monday, August 29, 2011

Oatmeal Streusel Banana Bread

What do I do when my husband tells me I don't need to make dinner and that we are going out to eat?  I bake!

I have been wanting to try more banana recipes and since my cousins gave me a bag of frozen ripe bananas I took the opportunity by storm.  I love any bread or muffin with a streusel topping.  Streusel topping makes everything better!  There is something about the sweet crumbly addition that makes you keep wanting to eat more. 

Oatmeal Streusel Banana Bread
Adapted from Baking Junkie

Ingredients:
Bread:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 over ripe bananas, mashed

Streusel:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoon cold butter

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a loaf pan with butter.
2.  Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time and mix until combined.  Add sour cream and banana.
3.  Mix cinnamon, flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add dry mixture to wet mixture.  Do not over mix!
4.  To make the streusel, combine all of the dry ingredients.  Cut the butter into small pieces and add to mixture.  Cut in using a fork or pastry cutter until mixture forms crumbles. 
5.  Pour the banana bread batter into greased loaf pan.  Top with streusel.  Bake for about 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
6.  Cool in pan.

This bread came out looking a little dark.  However the taste was still very yummy.  I think the only thing I would change about this recipe is to make it a muffin instead of a bread.  I had a little trouble making sure the middle of the bread was cooked and keeping the bread from burning.  I ended up covering the top with some parchment paper half way into baking.  I think by making it a muffin it would not only be easier to eat but the cook time will be shorter hence a more appetizing color (not so dark).

The husband and I took the pup to a dog park that we have not been before.  The dog park we normally take the pup to is currently under constructions.  They are reseeding the grass and fixing some pipes that were leaking causing huge mud puddles.  So on Sunday we took the pup to a dog park that a few of our friends have raved about.  This park was much bigger than our normal dog park.  Oh and so many more dogs were there for our pup to socialize with.  But of course the pup had to greet all the humans at the dog park first before attempting to make new friends.  The proud dog mom that I am loves it when other dog owners tell me how soft my dog is.  Ah so happy.  The husband and I both agree that when the day comes for us to have a k-i-d we will be one of those parents who always rave about our k-i-d.  For now I will enjoy my time with my 4 legged child and my baking.

Enjoy!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment