Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't. Okay I never feel like coconut. But El Hubby loves coconut so the good wifey that I am I make it for him. It's crazy how much coconut goes through my pantry when I not only don't like coconut but have self proclaimed to hate coconut. Sorry coconut lovers. It's true. I hate coconut. Except ... when it is covered with caramel and chocolate and on top of a cookie. Dang those Girl Scouts and their cookies!
These cookies do not disappoint in the chewy department. They are moist and CHEWY! For real!
Chewy Coconut Cookies
Adapted from Anecdotes and Apple Cores
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine flours, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, set aside
3. Cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth and creamy (about 3-4 minutes)
4. Beat in egg and vanilla until light and fluffy
5. Gradually stir in the flour mixture
6. Mix in the flaked coconut
7. Refrigerate for about 1 hour
8. Scoop cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheet.
9. Bake for about 9 minutes or until just golden brown. Cool on wire racks and then enjoy
With some experiment I have found that cookies are tastier when you refrigerate the dough. I am no science major but I think it has something to do with science. Whatever the reason refrigerate your dough. Your cookies will come out more flavorful. Maybe that's why store bought cookie dough is good. Hmmmmm!
Sometimes no one can be trusted. Especially when it is a prize possession you are keeping safe. Sometimes the only thing a pup can do is sleep next to her biscuit so she can keep an eye on it.
Time to put those running shoes on. Spring is here and summer is right around the corner.