Thursday, July 30, 2020

Maple Bacon Cheddar Biscuits

My friends who know me know I have been trying to find a biscuit recipe.  That and that I have a thing for biscuits.  There is just something about a warm biscuit in the morning.  


All the biscuit recipes I have come across call for a food processor.  If you know me and my husband you know he rolls his eyes at another kitchen gadget ... that according to him I will not use after one use.  


But I think I have figured out the secret to biscuits without a food processor.  FREEZE THE BUTTER and then GRATE THE FROZEN BUTTER.  Sounds a little crazy.  BUT if you don't have a food processor this totally does the trick.  The secret to fluffy light biscuits is cold butter.  If you have warm hands you want to touch the dough as little as possible.  



Maple Bacon Cheddar Biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 8 slices bacon, diced
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup butter, unsalted frozen (stick 1.5 sticks of butter in the freezer)
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 4 tablespoons maple syrup 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  
  2. In a large bowl, combine bacon, flour cheese baking powder, salt and baking soda.  
  3. Grate butter using the large holes of a box grater.  Stir into flour mixture.  
  4. In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and maple syrup.  Add slowly to flour mixture while folding with a spatula until a soft dough forms.  
  5. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together.  Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 1 1/4 inch thick rectangle.  Cut out using a biscuit or cookie cutter.  Or with a knife.  Place biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  
  6. Remove the biscuits from freezer.  Place into the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.  
My biscuits probably could have come out the oven a minute earlier.  Next time.  Next time.  These biscuits came out so yummy.  If you have extra bacon laying around throw some butter in the freezer and make these biscuits.  Now I need to figure out how I can freeze the dough so that I can biscuits all the time.  

Keep cooking Friends!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment