Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Marukame Udon

I love noodles.  Growing up in a Chinese household where my family made homemade noodles was a real treat.  I also think that is where my love of noodles developed.  There is just so much you can do with noodles.  You can serve them with or without broth.  You can serve them hot or cold.  So many choices.  However, Asian noodles are my favorite.


 While in Hawaii El Hubby and I had the chance to try Marukame Udon.  The first time I saw Marukame Udon it was packed.  The inside was full, people where getting food, and the line wrapped around the front twice.  El Hubby looked at me and said "No, next time".  So then we planned on going super early for lunch one day.  I want to say we were there at 11am and there was still a line.  Oh don't you worry.  I made El Hubby wait in line.  There was also a lot of Japanese tourists in line.  Hey, if Japanese people are in line for udon it's got to be good, right?


So the restaurant makes it's own udon noodles.  How cool is that.  So much better than store bought!  It was exciting watching udon being rolled out and cut.


I have never had fresh udon made to order.  So being able to watch noodles being made, cooked, and then served was pretty cool for me.  There was different stations.  One guy rolled the dough flat and cut the noodles.  Then another would boil the noodles until they were cooked.  Then a cook would ask what kind of broth you would like and would pour it steaming hot onto the udon.  Then a nice cook would ask if you wanted tempera topping and/or green onions on top.  You better believe I wanted toppings.  Then there was a bar full of different tempera.  I was like a kid in a candy store. 

The service is basically cafeteria service style.  


Both El Hubby and I got udon with a soft boiled egg and topping.  There was lots of different tempura available.  Shrimp, calamari, mushroom, onion straws, asparagus, eggplant, chicken, broccoli, etc.  Then there was also different kinds of musubi.  


El Hubby and I loved the udon so much we ate at Marukame Udon again on our last night in Hawaii for dinner.


It's tough being married to a food blogger.  This is El Hubby refusing to wait for me to take pictures. This place is small and the wait can be long.  But it's totally worth it.  Prices for being located in Waikiki Beach is super cheap too. 

Marukame Udon
2310 Kuhio Avenue
Honolulu, HI 936815
(808) 931-6000

Work out and exercise because there is lots of good food out there to eat!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment