Monday, May 13, 2013

Banana Walnut Caramel Cookies

This year we switched it up and had a champagne brunch with my husband's family for Mother's Day.  While eating my husband mentioned that the only thing missing was bananas foster.  This got me thinking ... and thinking ... and craving bananas foster.  

When I got home I decided to make cookies ... with a bananas foster theme of course.


Since real bananas get brown and I am not really familiar with them in cookies I decided to use banana pudding mix for my banana flavor.  The cookie dough smelled amazing.  There is just something about banana and caramel that is drool worthy.


Banana Walnut Caramel Cookies

Ingredients:
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (3.5) package instant banana pudding mix
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup caramel bits
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper
2.  Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
3.  Add pudding mix, eggs, and vanilla extract.
4.  Whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt.
5.  Slowly add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until just incorporated.  DO NOT OVER MIX!
6.  Fold in the caramel bits and walnuts.
7.  Using a cookies scooper, scoop 1 tablespoons cookie dough on prepared baking sheet.
8.  Bake for about 9 minutes or until lightly brown.  Remove and place on cooling rack.

I brought these cookies to Mother's Day dinner with my family.  The cookies were super moist because of the banana pudding mix.  My husband really enjoyed these cookies.  However, we realized that I forgot a key ingredient to bananas foster ... RUM!  So looks like next time I make these cookies I will be substituting rum extract for vanilla extract.  The caramel bits were a little chewy so maybe not so old people friendly or dentist friendly.  Oh well.  Them were sure yummy to eat!

Keep baking for your loved ones!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment