Sunday, June 2, 2013

Banana Bread

Sometimes when it comes to banana bread the simpler the better.  Don't get me wrong chocolate chips, nuts, and coconuts are yummy.  But sometimes a good ole simple banana bread really hits the spot.  

mini banana bread
Sometimes I like to not mash my bananas completely so there are nice chunks of banana in my bread.  It's not pretty to look at but it sure is yummy to eat.

that hole is filled with yummy banana

Banana Bread
yield 2 mini loaves

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed rip bananas (about 3 medium bananas)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Spray a mini loaf pan with cooking spray
3.  In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.  Set aside
4.  Beat together sugar and oil until combined.
5.  Add eggs and beat until well blended.
6.  Beat in flour mixture alternating with mashed bananas until incorporated.  DO NOT OVER MIX
7.  Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.  Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
8.  Let cool for about 5 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
9.  Enjoy when cool!

I usually make all my quick breads in a mini loaf pan because they are cute and perfect for sharing.  The mini loaves allow me to try new recipes without expanding my waist line too much.  Plus everyone is always happy when I bring baked goods over to share.

I wouldn't call myself a baked goods snob but I do believe that homemade is the best.  If you must buy something a local bakery is the next best option.  Store bought pre-made in a box is not something I recommend.  Too many preserves.  After working in retail I know that you just never know how long something is sitting on the shelf.

Buy local and support your community!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment