Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Coconut


Memorial weekend was a great way to rest after our family vacation the weekend before.  What was even better was we had some friends who were hosting a BBQ.  Don't get me wrong.  I love hosting, but when you are hosting you just don't get to enjoy the moment as if you were a guest.  When I host I am always worrying if there is enough food, if people are having a good time, cleaning up, etc.  Blah!  Much better when I just get to eat, chat, and soak up some sun. 
What to bring?  Oatmeal cookies!  I figured we needed something healthy at a BBQ.  Ha!  These cookies are  loaded with goodies. I know when most people think of BBQ they don't normally think of oatmeal cookies.  But then I like to be different.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flaked coconut
3 cups quick oats
3/4 cups raisins 
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Cream together butter and sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3.  Add in eggs one at a time.
4.  In a separate bowl whisk flour and baking soda together.
5.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just incorporated.  Do not over mix!
6.  Add coconut, oatmeal, raisins, and chocolate chips until just incorporated
7.  Use cookie scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheet.  
8.  Bake for 9 minutes.  Cool for about 5 minutes on sheet before moving to cooking rack.

Sometimes the things I bring to a potluck are either a hit or a bust.  These cookies were for sure a hit.  They were gone in a matter of minutes.  The poor husband asked if there was any more at home and looked pretty sad when I told him no.  What a hard life he lives. 

Enjoy!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment