Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crab Mac n Cheese

As a kid raised by Chinese parents I never got to eat mac n cheese.  Friends would talk about mac n cheese in a box.  I would watch the commercials on tv.  But at the grocery store my mom would laugh at me when I held up a box of mac n cheese.  Once I got older my mom did try to make me mac n cheese.  My mom used cheese whiz (yes the kind in a jar) and mixed it with noodles.  Now I am not going to say that it wasn't tasty.  But come on, that is not mac n cheese.  So now that I am older, married, and cooking meals I make mac n cheese.  Oh and know for sure my kids someday will be eating mac n cheese. 

What's more grown up than crab mac n cheese?!?  Okay I know mac n cheese is a kid item.  But with a grown up ingredient such as crab there is no need to be ashamed of eating mac n cheese no more! 

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked pasta
crab
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons minced onion
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 cups milk
3 cups shredded cheese

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Cook pasta until al dente.  Drain and set aside
3.  Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
3.  Add the onion and cook until tender.
4.  Add flour, salt, dry mustard, and paprika.  Mix well.
5.  Stir in the milk and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
6.  Add 2 cups of shredded cheese and stir until melted.
7.  Toss in the pasta and crab meat.  Pour into baking dish.
8.  Sprinkle remaining cheese.  Bake for about 30 minutes.

This dish is super yummy.  The leftovers are just as yummy.  

Enjoy!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment