Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Flag Cake

So my AC is acting up and we cannot turn it on.  This holiday weekend it was over 104 all 4 days.  Needless to say I did not want to stay in the kitchen too long.  (Oh and I don't even want to get into the story of my AC.  Fingers crossed it will not cost me my first born child to fix.)

Since it was a steamy 90 degrees in my home I tried to make my holiday dessert as simple as possible.  Hopefully all the sweating has cause me to loose some weight so I can eat more of this cake.  The flag cake I made is from a box cake mix with some simply homemade cream cheese frosting topped with fresh strawberries and blueberries.  How much easier can you get? 

Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup water
3 eggs
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter (1 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 cups of powder sugar
Strawberries, quartered
blueberries

Direction:
1.  Pre heat oven to 350F degrees.  Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with PAM.
2.  Mix white cake mix with vegetable oil, water, and eggs.
3.  Pour batter into pan and back for 26 minutes or until a tooth pick come out clean.
4.  Let cake cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.
5.  Beat cream cheese and butter.  Once combined add vanilla extract.
6.  Add powder sugar 1/4 cup at a time until you reach a consistency you like.
7.  Frost cake with cream cheese frosting on cooled cake.  Decorate with strawberries and blueberries.

This cake is nice and refreshing on a hot day.  The cake is a yummy dessert and the fruit keep it refreshing.  The red, white, and blue colors keep the cake festive for the holiday.  My family really enjoyed this cake on the 4th of July.  My grandmother even had 2 slices of cake.  So if you don't have much time but still want to have something homemade this is a great recipe for the holidays. 

Enjoy!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment