Saturday, July 23, 2011

Banana Coconut Muffins

I hate coconut.  In fact I call them crap-o-nuts.  I am not fan of the flavor or the texture.  My dad hates it so so you can call me a daddy's girl.  One time my dad was eating a German Chocolate Pie and spit it out of his mouth and asked why there was worms in the chocolate pie.  Hahaha.  I love my dad.

But my husband loves coconut.  Some people ask why I keep baking coconut items and I tell them it's because my I am a good wife and my husband likes it.  Here's my deep dark secret ... I make things with coconut so I can get my baking fix and not eat the item so no extra calories.  Muahahaha!  Is it evil or genius?  You decide. 

Banana Coconut Muffins
Adapted from Amandeleine

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Line 12 muffin cups
2.  Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt together.
3.  Cream butter and sugar
4.  Add banana until combined.
5.  Add egg until combined.
6.  Add vanilla extract and coconut
7.  Mix in dry ingredients until just combined.  Do not over mix!
8.  Use a ice cream scooper to scoop batter into lined muffin cups.
9.  Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 23 minutes.

As a person who hates coconut these muffins smells fabulous baking in my kitchen.  I am pretty sure my husband's mouth was watering the whole time these were baking.  The muffins came out nice, fluffy and moist.  The husband loved them and announced that he will eat them for breakfast every day.  We will see if that is true.

Enjoy!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment