Friday, July 22, 2011
I am always looking for yummy muffin recipes because my family always complains that American desserts are too sweet. However muffins are usually the only item that they agree are not too sweet. Blueberries are full of great vitamins and when purchased at Costco super cheap.
Adapted from A Zesty Bite
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups blueberries, dried and lightly coated with flour
1 tablespoon sugar (for sprinkling)
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt
3. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and mix until smooth. Add in buttermilk and vanilla extract.
4. Add dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
5. Slowly start to fold the blueberries into the mix.
6. Line muffin pan and pour batter into liners with a ice cream scooper.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown
8. Stick a toothpick in the center to make sure it comes out clean
These muffins came out amazing. Moist, cakey, and just the right amount of sweetness. I made these for the volunteers at a Tzu Chi free clinic. The clinic was out in Raisin City and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Tzu Chi brought 2 mobiles with them and set up tents to see patients. I decided to make these muffins because it seemed the easiest to eat while out in the middle of nowhere.