Monday, July 11, 2011
Turkey & Spinach Stuffed Shells
I have never cooked stuffed shells and have always wanted to try. So here is my attempt at making stuffed shells.
1 package jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 onion, diced
1 (15oz) container Ricotta Cheese
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cups breadcrumbs
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tablespoon oregano
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 (10oz) package frozen spinach
3 cups spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1. Cook Shells according to directions.
2. Drain and squeeze out excess moisture from spinach.
3. Brown turkey and onions in 2 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a large baking dish. Spread 1 cup sauce on bottom of baking dish.
5. Cream together eggs and ricotta cheese. Add breadcrumbs, garlic, Parmesan cheese, oregano, salt & pepper and mix well. Then gently fold in the spinach and turkey mixture. Fill shells with this mixture.
6. Add shells and cover with remaining sauce. Top with Mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil. Bake 30-35 minutes until warmed through and bubbly.
Sometimes I feel that Italian cooks are like Chinese cooks in the way that both slave away all day to make a meal sometimes. After my first attempt at stuffed shells I have decided this is a lot of work and to think it all gets gobbled up in seconds. There is a lot of prep work but the dish is very yummy. This dish was husband approved.