Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

This was my first try at baking with sour cream.  I have seen many recipes using sour cream but have never dare tried it.  I figure it was about time.  Oh and I am so happy I did.  This coffee cake came out amazing.  Such a great treat.  I made this for the volunteers at the Tzu Chi free medical clinic in Raisin City to snack.  I normally volunteer at these clinic but when I can't go I usually send treats.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chip

Cinnamon Sugar Topping/Filling
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions: 
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and set aside.
2.  Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set dry ingredients aside.
3.  Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Add in eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.  Beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract.  Mix until well combined.
4.  Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
5.  Make the cinnamon sugar topping/filling.  Stir together sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
6.  Pour half the batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with half the cinnamon sugar and half the chocolate chips.  Spoon the remaining batter over the filling, spread gently.  Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar and chocolate chips.
7.  Bake until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes our clean, about 34 minutes.  Cool to room temperature and serve.

This coffee cake was easy to make and super yummy.  The coffee cake was so moist and fluffy.  The cake was so yummy it could be a breakfast, snack or dessert.  The husband has requested I make this more often.  With how easy it was I will for sure make it again.

Enjoy!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment