Monday, July 25, 2011

Blueberry Buckle Cake


What happens when you get blueberries from Costco?  Lots of blueberry recipes.  I don't know why the husband and I shop at Costco so much when it's just the two of us.  Somehow we always leave with a cart full of groceries.  The sad thing is most of the food gets eaten.  We must be fatties. 

I love coffee cake.  It takes all my will power not to order a coffee cake whenever I get coffee from Starbucks (because I have already broken down and gone to Starbucks the last thing I need is a coffee cake).  There's just something about a coffee cake.  It's not cake.  It's not a muffin.  It's a amazing snack that goes great with coffee.

Blueberry Buckle Cake
Adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod

Ingredients:

For the topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

For the batter:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups fresh blueberries

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
2.  Mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.  Rub in butter using a fork until mixture is crumbly.  Set the topping aside.
3.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Cream together sugar and butter.  Add the egg and vanilla extract.  Alternately add the buttermilk and flour mixture to the creamed mixture ending with flour.  Gently fold in the blueberries.
4.  Pour the batter evenly into prepared cake pan.  Sprinkle the topping over the batter and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.  Let the buckle cool for 10 minutes.

As I pull this Blueberry Buckle Cake out of the oven my mom calls me and asks what I am doing.  She would.  How does she know I just pulled out a cake?  In about 15 minutes my parents are over having coffee and Blueberry Buckle Cake.  This cake is amazing and I would like to say the topping is to die for.  You know.  The kind of topping crumble that when you are done with the cake you use your fingers to pick up the fallen topping and in the end lick the napkin.  Oh wait ... am I the only one that does that?

Enjoy!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment