Monday, May 9, 2011

Angel Food Cake French Toast


I grew up with a family that always made more than you can eat for the holidays. It's no surprise that now that I am older that is how I cook too. Plus, leftovers are always good for when you are too lazy to cook.

For Mother's Day I decided to make some french toast since I have not made french toast since I was a kid. This recipe is a little different from others since instead of bread you use angel food cake. That's right! I said angel food cake. I am normally not a french toast kind of girl because it's just doesn't seem worth it to load up on all that bread when there are other things to eat. However, this recipe is so light and fluffy that you can eat 1, 2, or maybe 4 pieces! Muahahah!

Ingredients:
1 7-8 inch angel food cake
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray
whipped cream
maple syrup
cup up strawberries or any berries

Directions:
1. Turn on electric griddle to 300 degrees

2. Slice the angel food cake into 10 to 12 1-inch wedges.

3. Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla.

4. Soak wedges in egg mixture for 1 minute per side. (If you have fragile slices soak for half teh time and make sure you have plenty of non stick spray)

5. Spray griddle with cooking spray and cook wedges for about 1 to 2 minutes per side until golden brown.

6. Serve with whipped cream, maple syrup, and berries.

Makes 4-5 servings.

I think my father in law ate the most pieces during brunch. Which is funny cause he is known not to like "sweet" things.

Enjoy!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment