So my mother is really picky with her sweets. As most Asian people will complain that American desserts are too sweet my mother is no different. So this year for her birthday I decided to try to make something she can't complain about. Hence my homemade s'more brownie recipe. Just enough sweetness to satisfy the sweet tooth.
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
pinch of salt
Brownie:8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
Topping:1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3 to 4 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 8x8 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
2. Prepare crust: In a bowl, mix butter with graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt. Press crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Prepare brownie: Place butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt and stir until completely melted. Add sugars, vanilla and salt into the melted chocolate and mix together. Add eggs and beat vigorously until you see a thick and glossy batter. Stir in flour and mix just until incorporated. Pour batter over the baked crust. Bake until top is set and toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
4. Remove pan from oven. Turn oven to broil. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the baked brownie. Add a nice thick layer of marshmallows. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top.
5. Place your pan of brownies back into the oven. Toast under the broiler until golden brown. Keep a close eye on it. 1 to 2 minutes should do the trick.
6. Cool for a few minutes in pan before trying to cut. Use a wet and sharp knife when cutting brownies.
This was a hit with my mom. She found the marshmallow topping not too sweet but just enough. Thank goodness cause she is one picky mom.